In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Whitefield Historical Society

Coopers Mills Baptist Church, Whitefield, ca. 1908

Contributed by Whitefield Historical Society
MMN Item 100345 Item Details
Coopers Mills Baptist Church, Whitefield, ca. 1908
MMN Item 100345 Zoom


Originally organized at Dow's School in May 30, 1832, the Coopers Mills Baptist Church reorganized in 1878 as the Coopers Mills and North Whitefield Baptist Church.

Deacon Solomon E. Hopkins built the church edifice at 47 Main Street in 1879, and presented it to the Maine Baptist State Convention. Rev. James L. Smith of Ohio, a former popular pastor, preached the sermon at the dedication on May 23, 1880. The horse shed at the rear of the church was added in 1907.

Gracie Brann sent this postcard, postmarked Oct. 10, 1908, to Mrs. Nina Ricker in Stratton, Maine.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.